Venue: Member's Room, The Cube, George Street, Corby NN17 1QG
Contact: David Pope Email: email@example.com
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Ian Jelley, King Lawal and Elliot Prentice. Cllr Kevin Watt was acting as substitute for Cllr Prentice.
The minutes of the meeting held on 9th March 2023 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
Members received a copy of the draft Procurement Strategy 2023-2028 for consideration. It was noted that the strategy was designed to ensure compliance with the Public Contract Regulations 2015 and all relevant procurement legislations and national policies. The strategy formed a framework designed to provide a strategic approach to procurement throughout the Council, emphasising the importance of procurement decisions.
The meeting heard that the strategy was intended to guarantee that procurement decisions in the Council delivered in terms of sustainability and social values whilst maintaining value for money. The strategy was constructed to highlight the commitment made towards sustainability and to demonstrate the improvements made to deliver this goal.
Members were invited to consider and provide comments on the draft document, noting four strategic objectives to be delivered within the procurement strategy as set out below:
· Ensuring legal compliance
· Ensuring value for money
· Supporting the Council’s Carbon neutral policy
· Empowering local suppliers (commitment to local values)
Members asked questions and raised points relating to the following:
· The overall readability of the document
· Timescales involved in contract tender processes
· Empowering local suppliers to be able to bid for contracts
· Weighting of quality, value, social value and carbon neutrality as part of the bidding process
· Simplification of the bidding process where possible to make it easier for local suppliers to bid
· Monitoring and performance information regarding the procurement process being made available and communicated regularly to members
Following discussion, it was AGREED that the four strategic objectives set out above be approved as the basis for the Procurement Strategy. Additional work would be undertaken to make the document more user-friendly and improve readability, with further detail added to proposed action plans.
The Executive Forward Plan for May 2023 to August 2023 was noted. A copy of the Internal Forward Plan had been circulated to members in advance of the meeting.
Close of Meeting
There being no further business, the Chair thanked Members and Officers for their attendance and closed the meeting.