Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
That the Executive:
i) Approved commencement of procurement of the Council’s future Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) contract.
ii) Approved that the operation of HWRC facilities in North Northamptonshire will be delivered under an outsourced operating model for a duration up to 15 years.
iii) Approved the extension of the current lease for the land for Corby HWRC by 3 years to enable a review to be undertaken on alternative provision for the area.
iv) Approved officers undertaking a review of alternative provision at Corby to consider the sourcing of a new lease for, or purchase of new or existing land, or utilisation of existing council owned land, dependent on which provides the greatest value to both the Council and delivery of the service, on which to provide a HWRC facility in the vicinity of Corby.
v) Delegated authority to the Executive Member for Highways, Travel and Assets, in consultation with Executive Director for Place & Economy, Executive Director for Finance and Performance and the Executive Member for Finance, the authority to take any further decisions and/or actions required in connection with the North Northamptonshire procurement process and award of the HWRC contracts, and property related transactions without the need to return to the Executive.
Reasons for Recommendations:
· The proposed option most closely aligns with local government reform and transformation outcomes for Waste Services in North Northamptonshire.
· The recommended course of action will allow the Council to secure the most cost-effective, solution for North Northamptonshire residents.
· This approach enables the Council to make informed decisions regarding its medium- and long-term financial planning for its Waste Management services.
· This approach ensures the Council has legally procured and has a compliant contract in place for the provision of services that provide a direct benefit to residents in disposing of their waste.
Alternative Options Considered:
· The alternative to procuring an HWRC contract would be for the Council to enter the HWRC sector by running its own facilities however it is considered that the lengthy lead in times and additional cost make this prohibitive.
· The Council could seek to jointly procure a new shared contract with West Northamptonshire Council to reflect existing arrangements however this could constrain the Council’s ability to make decisions which best fits the future needs of North Northamptonshire
Publication date: 16/11/2023
Date of decision: 16/11/2023
Decided at meeting: 16/11/2023 - Executive
Effective from: 24/11/2023